Barns, wooden fences and empty lots were all that occupied the neighborhood of Jackson and Grove streets in 1888, when this picture was taken.
Handling the powerful rig in the photo were Peter Diller (left) and Albert E. Lugibill, in the fancy striped coat on the right. The horses are a pair of Percherons owned by Bucher Brothers, taken around for stud services.
From a note on the back of the photo, written in 1959, we learn the following: The house in the left background is now occupied by Mrs. Addie Graber. Looking east, the photo was taken from the corner now occupied by the Paul Clark residence.
That information translated in 2023 as follows: The photographer stood on the southwest corner of Grove and Jackson Street. The empty lot behind the horse and wagon now is the residence of Jesse and Amy Blackburn.
In fact, most of Jackson Street at this time was empty lots. A map from 1880 reveals property owners at this corner and shows that few houses existed.
Based upon the shadows cast by the horses, we know that the photo was taken in mid-to-late afternoon. Why was the photo taken at this intersection? Good question. We don’t know.
It's interesting to note that we are able to place both photos in the exact pose, based upon the pole in both photos. Although, since 1888, the pole moved from one side of the street to the other.
2023 with 1888 superimposed on top
2023 today - Jackson Street looking north at bend in Kibler Street
1888 view of this intersection
1880 map showing property owners and buildings that existed