pub-769827371306972 pub-769827371306972
top of page

It's the 1890s in Bluffton

Will Hahn opened The Oak Restaurant on East Cherry Street

In the 1890s Bluffton had either 12 or 13 saloons. The exact number depends upon several variables including, the definition of a saloon and a restaurant.


One of those saloons – or restaurants serving alcohol – was The Oak Restaurant, located on East Cherry Street. The building stood at 106 E. Cherry and was razed in the early 1960s when the village began expanding its parking options on the east side of Main Street.


We believe this photo was taken when the restaurant opened. Hahn died in 1904 at the age of 46.


At the time the building was razed it was vacant. The final business located in that building was Jorg Hatchery. Today, parking spaces between First National Bank and Twisted Whisk Café and Coffee House, represent the 106 E. Cherry address.


The Oak Restaurant was operated by Will Hahn. In this photo two men stand in the doorway, wearing aprons. Hahn is the man on the right. Others in this photo are not identified.


Hahn also owned “The Midway Café,” in Bluffton. It is not known if The Midway was before or after he owned The Oak Restaurant.


A post card advertising The Midway Café stated: When you want a cool and refreshing drink call on…Will Hahn “The Midway Café,” Bluffton, Ohio.


Hot lunch served at all hours. Choice line of fine whiskeys and wines.


Editor's note: Will Hahn is the great-grandfather of Fred Steiner of Bluffton.







129 views
bottom of page