Like, Bluffton, Rawson was a stop on the
Lake Erie and Western Railroad
Like Bluffton, the railroad came to Rawson and Mt. Cory in 1872 from Findlay south to Lima.
In an undated post card photograph, here’s the Rawson passenger depot of the Lake Erie and Western Railroad. It was constructed in the same style as the Bluffton depot. Next to it stands a Rawson elevator.
The first passenger and freight trains through Rawson were on Dec. 5, 1872. Notice a side track from the main line. It could be for unloading and loading freight. We are not aware if Rawson had a separate freight building.
Rawson was platted in 1855 and named after Dr. La Quinio Rawson. While neighboring Mt. Cory was plotted in 1872 and named after Judge Cory of Findlay.
The Lake Erie and Western eventually became the Nickel Plate Road. Today it is part of the Norfolk Southern system.